Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Advent Memories



Advent is a huge part of our lives not only at this Christmas time season but also through out the year. I have a homemade wreath that David and I made together about 20 years ago that I still use every Christmas season. Traditionally David will buy me five large jar candles each Christmas. He labels them for each week in Advent so that as I use them through out the year I am pulled into meditation for that candle and that message.

I remember the first time I saw an advent wreath was at David's house the first Christmas we lived in Dallas. I was always nervous going over to the Mooring's house. There was always too much noise (four kids) and too little space for so many people. Cleo was always nice, but I worried she didn't like me. I think every little kid wants to be accepted. It was on a Sunday afternoon that David rode his bike over to my house and asked if I could come over to decorate Christmas cookies, and then go to the church for a potluck supper and a small candle light service. He had me at the word Cookies.

We walked back to his house together as he pushed his bike. I remember it was already cold outside and very windy. The leaves were off all the trees and despite the sun and cloudless day with deep azure skies, it was downright cold.

The decorating of cookies was a huge success. Cleo had everything planned out with stations for icing and sprinkles and decorating. They even packed a box for me to take home to Mom and Dad. We all piled in their station wagon. David and I were allowed to sit in the last seat facing backwards. That was really cool too.

At the catholic church the parking lot and church building were bursting with people and laughter. I clung to David's hand not wanting to be lost or trampled. Cleo carried new baby Ben and Robert, David's dad, had Molly up in his arms. Charlie, David and I had to make our own way. We shared pot luck with about 200 families and there was more food there than I think I have seen in a lifetime.

After the supper we all headed toward the church and quietly filled in the pews. The sanctuary was beautiful. I could not stop staring at everything and of course felt totally full of God as I sat there. Up near the alter on a stand was a wreath with candles. It was that night that I shared with David's family the lighting of the first candle on the wreath. I cried that night sitting there. Cleo passed me a Kleenex, and she made sure I was with them every Sunday night during advent.

These memories are so sweet and I pray that my children and my grandchildren will have good times to look back upon. One day they will find this journal filled with all my writing. David was always the writer; I am the artist.

Lauren
3 December 2008

No comments: