Sunday, November 23, 2008

Nanie's Fabulous Cookies

"Nanie made the best cookies in the world. Nanie baked EVERYDAY. When I left for school every morning I could smell cookies cooling. Nanie kept her cookie jar full for David and his brothers and sister. I was lucky living next door though, because I think I got more than anyone else. Most mornings she would be out on her front porch like clockwork and she would have some fresh hot cookies wrapped in wax paper for me. Sometimes I would eat them on the way to school and sometimes I would save them for lunch.

One day I need to put together a cookbook of all her cookies recipes. Maybe I will start listing them here.

My girls were blessed to have 14 years of fresh cookies! Actually only 13. Nanie stopped baking about a year before she left us. Kendal favors the peanut butter cookies; Jillian loved the oatmeal raisen. The boys both went for chocolate chip, which is my favorite. I have always had a love for chocolate. Infact Nanie had a recipe that she put together for the twins to make on their own. It is pretty simple:

1 box brownie mix
1/3 cup flour
2 eggs
6 Tablespoons Canola Oil
1 bag of chocolate chunks or chips

preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix gently with a spoon until moist. DO NOT OVER MIX! Drop by teaspoonful on a cookies sheet and bake about 7-8 minutes. They should look slightly not done, a bit soft so they are chewy. At Christmas time we make them and pound candy canes into bits and sprinkle those on the top before baking.

I may have to start compiling these recipes for a cookbook for the girls for next Christmas."

Lauren

23 November 2008

No comments: