Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

From the kitchen where David has been shelling pecans from our trees in the backyard and where I have been preparing Nanie's Homemade Cranberries.



I started this blog to record memories from the past fifty years and with this being Thanksgiving today I definitely have some memorable turkey days.  The worse was the Thanksgiving Mom put the Turkey in the oven and set the temperature but did not turn on the oven.  The second worse was when she tried to roast a bird that was still frozen inside and we had warm bloody turkey.  That is when I became a vegetarian for about six months.

David shelled enough pecans for a pie. The recipe I used was as follows:

One 9 inch pie crust unbaked

Mix:
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup pure Maple Syrup
1/2 Light Corn Syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar packed
1/2 stick butter melted  (4 Tablespoons)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1  1/2 - 2 cups pecan halves ( or pieces if David is shelling)

Bake in preheated oven 40-50 minutes.  


I also made Nanie's fabulous cranberries.  

12 ounces fresh organic cranberries
2 organic apples diced
2 organic naval oranges cut into piece
honey to taste.

I never follow the directions of course. I throw it all in the bowl once it is chopped and then use my hand food processor to chop it up. Thank you Aunt Charlene for the hand food processor, makes life SMILES!  See pictures above.

My daughters and sons will all be here today with their families.  Counting my parents and David's dad, (We lost his mom Cleo in 1995) we will have at least 18 to 20 people.  I better get busy.  I need to polish the silver. More memories later this weekend.

Lauren
27 November 2008

No comments: