Friday, November 21, 2008

That Hot Day in July

"This is the time of the year I look back and think of the world as it was when I was a child. So many years have passed since I meet David that hot summer day.

I didn't really know where we had moved to because I didn't pay attention. I had lived in so many foreign cities while my dad was studying the land. I remember Mom was excited to move back to the states, but I had never heard of a place called Dallas before. They told me it was in Texas, and little did I know this move would begin my journey all over and pull me into my future.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting on the sidewalk drawing with chalk. I was always drawing back then. At least I get to do it again now that the kids are all grown and out of the house. Back then I remember the hot hot day it was and Mom sending me outside to draw. I couldn't draw on the driveway because of the boxes from the moving van, so I settled on the sidewalk in the shade of the trees. I started at one end of the side walk and begin to draw things I had seen in Africa and continued on to what I had seen here in Texas in the few short weeks we had been here house hunting.

That is when I remember laying eyes on my beloved husband, David. He had raced up to me on the sidewalk, almost stepping into my chalk picture. I couldn't really see him well when I looked up, the sun was too bright. He just stood there staring at my drawings. I didn't know what to think.

Oh the memories. I have decided to journal my memories for my grandchildren. I hope you will enjoy reading them as I write. So many things can be forgotten and before my old age sets in too strong, I am going to write."

Lauren
21 November 2008

1 comment:

Grammie Jan said...

You are so full of ideas - does your brain churn 24-7? Mine does but it does not create as yours does.
Anyway - The Journal - I really like the idea but it does bring one question to mind; will it reveal too much or perhaps just enough so that people will not have the desire to purchase the book? On the other hand, I hope that it will and I hope that it will get folks charged and curious so they will have the desire to read not just the book but the series of books.
Hugs,
Jan