Friday, January 16, 2009

Birthday Celebrations


These pictures took me way back to the celebration of birthdays of the boys and their love of hero worship. Batman, Spiderman, you name it, they thought is was all thrilling.




Do you have any memories of childhood birthday parties? My earliest memory is of my 3rd birthday party. I wore a soft yellow sweater that had tiny rose buds in a row around my chest up near the neckline. I also remember having my cousins over and eating hotdogs and then throwing them all up. Today I know why they didn't stay in my stomach, but I don't think anyone knew back then. I have food allergies to Sodium Nitrate... top ingredient in those nasty things. I never gave them to my kids.

The kids always like wearing masks and taking on the personality of the mask. I think we all do that in our lives. We don't even need the masks....it is simply the front we put on with people. Then we carry through with acting like the person we are trying to be.

Make believe was something David and I were good at. He would sit with his notebook and write stories when we were young. I sat scrunched up tightly against him as he told me the tale he was inscribing on the paper before him. My pencil flew to sketch what he was describing. I have a whole trunk full of our stories and drawings. One day I will have to get them published.

Jillian has been over helping me label pictures this past weekend and these were some we came across. So many memories.

Lauren

No comments: