Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nanie's Meatloaf



The recipe has been passed down and is more than yummie and not too expensive to fix. After all, Nanie had an entire crew to feed and not much money to do it on. Jillian has been over organizing recipes for me. I decided to make this for dinner last night along with some tasty homemade bread.

BASIC MEATLOAF from the Portwood family.

2 beaten eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 TBL parsley
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup catsup
4 TBL Brown Sugar
1 tsp dry mustard

1. Combine eggs and milk. Stir in bread crumbs and onion, parsley, salt, sage and pepper. Add ground beef in chunks.
2. Mix together till blended. Mix lightly or you get compact texture..yuck
3. Mold into a loaf shape ( I usually put it in a glass bread loaf pan.)
4. Bake at 350 degrees about 50 min.
5. Prepare glaze of Catsup, brown sugar and dry mustard.
6. Spread over top of meatloaf and bake 10 minutes longer.


Leftovers never last long as this is a family favorite for every one. I often make two at a time because of the loved leftovers!

Here is Audrey's Bread Recipe:

1 1/2 cup warm water
2 TBL Oil (I used Olive Oil)
2 eggs
5 cups flour ( you can add more if dough is too sticky... I had to)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
3 tsp Bread Machine yeast.

Mix in bread machine on dough cycle. Shape into French Bread rolls. (You may have to add flour to do this) Place on greased cookie sheets and let rise covered with a towel. (40-50 min)
Bake at 350 degrees fro about 20 minutes or until light brown. This makes 6 loaves and you can easily wrap them in foil and freeze them.


Good luck with your cooking... I am off to clean out another box of recipes. Nanie was the best cook and I do not want to loose her treasures in the kitchen.

Lauren

Post Note: Jillian told me she is pregnant. Robert will be so excited! Well, so am I...very excited.

1 comment:

Jennifer Taylor said...

Since I came down with an allergy to beef and pork, and I love meatloaf, my husband came up with an organic, vegetarian meatloaf that is out of this world. It is so yummy!